April 12, 2012
Bimonthly Roundup: The Days of Summer, 2012
Ah, summer — warm air, long days, and plenty of sunshine. How better to spend it than with like-minded science fiction, anime, and gaming fans? Here are some of the events we’re looking at this summer. Are you planning on attending any of these, or others? Let us know!
- 6/29-7/2: AnimeExpo: Los Angeles, CA
- Hyperfocused, enormous anime convention.
- 7/4-7/8: DexCon: Morristown, NJ
- 7/12-7/15: ReaderCon: Burlington, MA
- A nice smaller convention that is like WorldCon without the crowds. Lots of good author panels. Very specific to books; no general shenanigans.
- 7/12-7/15: Comic-Con: San Diego, CA
- The giant comics convention held every year in SoCal. Very specific to comics and comics characters in other media.
- Over 120,000 people. Need to buy passes a year in advance.
- 8/16-8/19: GenCon: Indianapolis, IN
- THE big board/table game convention.
- 8/30-9/3: Worldcon: Chicago, IL
- Important sci-fi con, held around the world, where the Hugos are given out. Big pricetag, mainly panels (not a lot of other associated fandom activities).
- 8/31-9/2: Pax Prime: Seattle, WA
- The largest and most influential video game conference, created by Penny Arcade.
- 8/27-9/3: Burning Man: Black Rock City, NV
- An experiment in temporary community, filled with creativity and bizarreness of all sorts.
I’m hoping to get back to Burning Man this year (and in fact have successfully scored tickets through the online lottery) but I have to admit I’m a little daunted by the logistics of attending from the East Coast, now that I’m no longer just an easy California drive away… Clearly it’s an insane challenge – but the good kind of insane. 🙂